Monday, October 5, 2009

The Studio Visit

The Studio Visit wasn't as interesting as The Crit, I guess, or maybe the same. I thought The Crit was amusing somewhat and The Studio Visit wasn't necessarily entertaining as it was informative. It was interesting to read about Murakami Takashi's work, maybe because I recognize his name and his work, especially after realising he DID do the album cover for Kayne West's Graduation. I have it in my car and listen to it frequently, and have always like the cover. Seems frustrating, tedious, repetitive, and all together a headache to do the work he does, but in the end I suppose it all pans out. Anyway, here are some interesting points I found while reading, just some quotes and random blurbs here and there that made me think, some laugh, and some made me appreciate the process much more.
  • the taxi driver had a sign on the back of his seat that informed them that his hobbies were, 1) baseball, 2) fishing, and 3) driving..
  • While Blum may be a generic leading man, Poe resembles the Dude as played by Jeff Bridges in The Big Lebowski.
  • A living artist's first major retrospective is a time of reckoning, not just for critics, curators, and collectors but for the artist himself and his dealers.
  • "Japan is a homogeneous culture. They don't like it when someone sticks out too much. they want to pound 'em back in."
  • (Japan) The status of creativity is much lower here,"he continues. "The art market is weak, and there isn't a well-established museum for contemporary art. Dissemination us difficult."
  • "Among the art historians at UCLA, I'm like the Antichrist. I lure their best students to the dark side!"
  • "I used to think that my staff were motivated by money, but the most important thing for creative people is the sense that they are learning. It's like video game. They have frustration with my high expectations, so when they get my 'yes' for their work, they feel like they've won a level."
  • "An artist is someone who understands the border between this world and that one...or someone who makes an effort to know it."
  • "being good in business is the most fascinating kind of art...making money is art and working is art and good business is the best art, that is a fantasy!"
  • "I've never found choosing a controversial artist to be anything but the right choice. If there is already absolute consensus, if there is nothing you can do in terms of illumination, why do it?"
  • "This work is a tour de force."

No comments:

Post a Comment