Friday, October 30, 2009

Morris Louis




"Alpha-Pi" (1960) 102.5 x 177 inches, acrylic
The idea of separation in this painting is wonderful. One canvas, but it seems like it could be two. There also seems to be some tension, but because of the organic painterly lines, its more easygoing, than I thought it would be at first.

Morris Louis
I like his idea of solid colors, and simple shapes, the basic idea of color field painting. He uses a lot of bright colors and his palette isn't necessarily limited, which in my own work, I think my palette is too much and should limit it to 2 or 3 colors, and vary with lighter/darker. I like the tranquility in his work, and would like to be more successful in my own work, making it seem effortless, but well thought out. These are some of his paintings I enjoy, and they describe a bit of what i am searching for in my own work.






No comments:

Post a Comment